In June I spoke at the GeoTec conference in Ottawa on the past, present and future of Web-based mapping and the implications for data providers, mainly national- and similarly levelled mapping agencies. The meeting had particular resonance for me as it was also celebrating the 100th anniversary of The Atlas of Canada, where I worked in the early-mid 1990s, and where we did some very exciting work in early Web-based mapping. NAISMap was created by various explorations I made, and with the support of my director at the time, Jean Thie, and the efforts of the National Atlas team, NAIS-on-the-Net was born, with NAISMap being playing a central role. Ah, those halcyon days!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Java, MySql increased performance with Huge Pages

Canadian Science Policy Conference

Project Torngat: Building Large-Scale Semantic 'Maps of Science' with LuSql, Lucene, Semantic Vectors, R and Processing from Full-Text