Microsoft has taken tremendous strides forward in addressing this problem. There has been a sea change in attitude.
Sigh. This is very sad. The original press release from the U.K. National Archives is here: The National Archives and Microsoft join forces to preserve the UK´s digital heritage.
The Wikipedia article on Open XML shows why this is such a disappointing comment.
- The Do you love Microsoft? blog has an excellent recent posting on this: OpenXML and the British Library - Part 4.
- And others also used "disappointing" for other MS related comments by Mr. Farquhar: Adam Farquhar's presentation on OOXML disappointing - CyberTech Rambler
- Having Your Digital Cake and Eating It - Open...
- And more strongly: The National Archive Being Scammed! - The Open Sourcerer
- Related article: National Archives and Microsoft sign memorandum