- 2009 The DoD and Open Source Software. Oracle White Paper
- 2009 Open source software could save millions (Scotland)
- 2009 Open Source Vendors welcome new UK Government policy, but want more action
- 2009 Liam Maxwell The High Cost of government IT
- 2009 Guide to Open Source Software for Australian Government Agencies
- 2009 D.Gatto & J.Herzfeld. Department of Defense Debunks Myths and Endorses Use of Open Source Software
- 2008. The acquisition of (open-source) software A guide for ICT buyers in the public and semi-public sectors (Dutch Government)
- 2008 How the DoD learned to stop worrying and love open source
- 2008 Government CIOs 'do not understand open source'
- 2008 DOD's open challenge
- 2007 Government Open Source Policies
- 2006 The South African Adoption of Open Source: A White Paper created by Vital Wave Consulting
- 2005 Richard Carbone, Robert Charpentier and David Demers. Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) Usage in Military Computing 10TH International Command and Control Research and Technology Symposium: The Future of C2 3-16 June 2005 MacLean, Virginia, USA
- 2005 Policies of United Nations System Organizations towards the use of Open Source Software (OSS) in the Secretariats
- 2005 Piergiorgio Di Giacomo. COTS and Open Source Software Components: Are They Really Different on the Battlefield? Proceedings of the 4th International Conference of COTS-Based Software Systems, ICCBSS 2005, Bilbao, Spain, February 7-11, 2005.
- 2005 Jesper Holck, Michael Holm Larsen, Mogens Kahn Pedersen. Managerial and Technical Barriers to the Adoption of Open Source Software. Proceedings of the 4th International Conference of COTS-Based Software Systems, ICCBSS 2005, Bilbao, Spain, February 7-11, 2005.
- 2004 Robert Charpentier, Richard Carbone. Free and Open Source Software: Overview and Preliminary Guidelines for the Government of Canada.
- 2004 Richard Fichera. Linux and Open Source For e-Government: The Business Case Research Fellow Forrester Research
- 2001 Carolyn A. Kenwood. A Business Case Study of Open Source Software. Mitre Report
Monday, November 23, 2009
Government and Open Source Software
A colleague of mine is having some difficulties getting an Open Source solution to be made available within his government organization. In providing support to him, I've collected the below resources. Of particular interest is the 2007 Government Open Source Policies from the Center for Strategic and International Studies, listing the Open Source policies of hundreds of national, state/province/territory and local governments (including Canada's).