- 1 Star for putting data on the Web at all, with an open license.
- 2 Stars if it’s machine-readable.
- 3 Stars for machine-readable, non-proprietary formats
- 4 Stars if the data is converted into open linked data standards like RDF or SPARQL
- 5 Stars when people have gone through the trouble of linking it"
Original TB-L ref: http://lab.linkeddata.deri.ie/2010/star-scheme-by-example/
So according this metric by TB-L, the Canadian cites (Ottawa, Vancouver, Toronto,, Edmonton, etc) that have recently released data with not open licenses get ZERO stars!!!